Natural gas is one of the safest and most reliable energy sources used by millions of Americans. It’s in our homes, our businesses and our industries – even our vehicles. By following the guidelines below, you can continue to enjoy the many benefits of natural gas:
The smell of rotten eggs, the sound of hissing, the sight of air blowing up from the ground or bubbling up in standing water or dying plants could be an indicator of a gas leak.
If the gas smell is a slight odor indoors, check your pilot lights as they could have gone out.
If the gas odor is strong, leave the building immediately. DO NOT turn on any lights or appliances. Leave the doors and windows open if possible. DO NOT light a match, use your telephone or switch anything on or off. Move away from the odor, go to your nearest neighbor and call Jackson Energy Authority.
Utility services are also buried underground so you must call 811 at least 3 days prior to any digging project to have the underground services marked.
Every gas meter has a shutoff valve usually located on the pipe coming up from the ground at the meter. Once gas is shut off, it’s important not to go back in the house.
Carbon Monoxide detectors will not determine a leak but will alarm when appliances improperly burn and release carbon monoxide.
To keep your home safe from carbon monoxide poisoning, make sure all of your gas appliances, including gas heating units and space heaters, are checked by a licensed gas contractor.
Never store anything near a gas appliance or equipment that could interfere or block normal airflow.
Never store or use flammable products around, in the same room or near any gas or heat-producing appliances or equipment. Keep combustibles such as paper, clothing and curtains away from open flames. Do not play around or attach anything to the meters.
If your pilot light goes out, follow all manufacturer’s directions as to how to re-light. If you are having trouble lighting a pilot light, do not keep trying. Call Jackson Energy Authority or your plumber.
Use only gas appliances or equipment that have a seal from a recognized independent testing laboratory.
Gas appliances and equipment operating correctly will have a steady, blue flame or blue flame with slight tip of yellow. This indicates proper burn. Decorative gas fire logs are the only exception as their flame is usually a yellow orange color. Never use an appliance or equipment that is operating improperly.
Exhaust vents for gas appliances can sometimes get blocked with insects, bird nests, snow build-up, etc.
Have at least one active, approved fire extinguisher readily available in the house and check the expiration dates.
For your safety, never move or install a gas appliance or change the connector in any way without consulting a professional.