Before you shut off gas at the meter, you should know exactly where to locate your gas meter and the shutoff valve. Your natural gas meter should be mounted outside your home where the gas service line comes up from the ground to your meter, on the side or the rear. The shutoff valve can be found on the service line riser pipe: facing the meter, there should be a pipe running from the ground up to the meter. The shutoff valve will be parallel to the pipe.
- Grab an adjustable wrench
- Locate the locknut shutoff valve on the service line riser pipe
- Using the adjustable wrench, turn the valve a quarter turn in either direction until the valve is crosswise to the pipe.
- Once you have turned the gas off, DO NOT turn the gas back on yourself. Call Jackson Energy Authority at 731-422-7500 as the restoration of gas service requires many safety steps. During these steps, crews will come out to inspect the meter on your property and ensure that no gas is flowing in the lines. Once all safety steps are complete, crews will return the flow of gas.
- As a reminder, Jackson Energy Authority employees carry proper identification with them at all times. Customers should always ask to see identification before allowing an employee inside the home. If you are uncertain or uncomfortable with the identification, contact Jackson Energy Authority at 731-422-7500 for verification.