The unpredictable weather often makes it difficult to manage your utility bills, especially during the hottest and coldest months of the year. You can guard against these large fluctuations and receive a more consistent bill year-round by signing up for Levelized Billing.
Levelized billing is a payment program designed to prevent drastic seasonal fluctuations (winter or summer) in your monthly utility bill, making it easier to work with your budget. The program takes a rolling average of your last 12 monthly bills and your current month’s bill for your service address, giving you a more predictable utility bill from month-to-month.
How It Works
- A levelized bill includes any metered service used (electric, water, wastewater, city garbage, surge protectors, security lights, etc.) and is reflected in the “Current Utilities to be Levelized” line.
- The monthly payment will be close to the same amount each month but will fluctuate slightly based on actual usage.
- The rolling average means that there will be months when the levelized payment is more or less than actual utilities used. Utility usage is typically higher than the levelized payment in the hottest/coldest months while typically lower in the normal months.
- Depending on the difference between monthly usage and levelized payment, the Levelized Amount Due reflected on the bill could be a balance due or credit.
Requirements to Qualify
- You must be a Residential Jackson Energy Authority customer who has received utility services at the same location for the previous twelve (12) months.
- Your account must be current (no past due amounts).
- You must not have more than two (2) late payments in the previous twelve (12) months.
- You may be required to set up a reoccurring payment method (ACH, Credit Card or Bank Draft)
If you decide to sign up, we recommend staying in the program for at least one full year to get an accurate average of usage to determine levelized payment. However, you may be removed from the Levelized Bill Program if for any reason including, but not limited to, the following:
- You request to cancel the Levelized Bill Program.
- Payments are not made by the due date listed on the bill.
- Payments are returned for any reason.
If you are removed for any reason from the Levelized Bill Program, reconciliation of your account will be necessary. Any unpaid balances will be added to your current bill. Upon termination (for any reason) you must wait twelve (12) months before re-establishing.
How do I apply for the Levelized Bill Program?
If you are interested in applying for the Levelized Bill Program, download the form below, complete and submit to Jackson Energy Authority using one of the following methods.
- Submit online: visit the CONTACT US page, fill out the required information, select your question topic as “Levelized Billing Application” and upload your completed form.
- Submit via email: send completed form to JEAcontactuswebsite@jaxenergy.com.
- Submit in person: visit one of our customer center locations:
- Midtown - 351 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Dr.
- North – 2030 Pleasant Plains Extended
If you have questions, please call Jackson Energy Authority at (731) 422-7500 to speak to one of our Customer Service Representatives.