Understanding Your Gas Meter
The gas meter outside your home measures the amount of gas you consume. It’s important to know a few things about your gas meter when monitoring your usage or in the event of an emergency. Most gas meters on the Jackson Energy Authority system are dial meters that have a reading window with 2 small dials and 4 larger dials. Each of the larger dials should have numbers from 0-9 with a black sweep hand that rotates according to the directional arrow above the dial. Your gas consumption is measured by the four larger dials.
Not everything at the natural gas meters is the responsibility of Jackson Energy Authority. As seen below, natural gas meters have many parts:
A. JEA Service Line
B. Locknut Shutoff Valve
E. Reading Window
F. Customer Fuel Line
Everything downstream of the meter, indicated by the blue line, is the responsibility of JEA. Everything upstream of the meter, indicated by the yellow line, is the responsibility of the homeowner/customer.
In the event of an emergency such as post-natural disaster or gas escaping from pipes, it’s important to know how to turn off your gas at the meter:
- Grab an adjustable wrench
- Locate the locknut shutoff valve on the service line riser pipe running parallel with the pipe.
- Using the adjustable wrench, turn the valve a quarter turn in either direction until the valve is crosswise to the pipe.
- Once you have turned the gas off, DO NOT turn the gas back on yourself. Call Jackson Energy Authority at 731-422-7500 as the restoration of gas service requires many safety steps. During these steps, crews will come out to inspect the meter on your property and ensure that no gas is flowing in the lines. Once all safety steps are complete, crews will return the flow of gas.
- As a reminder, Jackson Energy Authority employees carry proper identification with them at all times. Customers should always ask to see identification before allowing an employee inside the home. If you are uncertain or uncomfortable with the identification, contact Jackson Energy Authority at 731-422-7500 for verification.