Severe weather, vehicle accidents and other disasters often leave electric lines and equipment scattered about. It’s important to follow these rules to stay safe:
- Stay away from downed electric power lines and equipment and call Jackson Energy Authority to report.
- Never assume downed lines or equipment is safe because it’s on the ground or not sparking.
- Never assume the wiring on the ground is just telephone, television or fiber optic cable.
- Stay away from hanging electric power lines and equipment as they still have the potential to be energized even if they aren’t touching the ground.
- Remember that electricity can spread outward through the ground in a circular shape and as you move away from the center, large differences in voltages can be created.
- Never drive over downed power lines.
- Never touch anything, such as a car, object or equipment, or anyone who is in contact with a downed electric line.
- If your vehicle comes in contact with a downed electric line, do not get out of the vehicle unless it’s on fire and call for help.
- Keep everyone, including pets, away from downed electric lines.