The Jackson Energy Authority is the direct successor of the Jackson Utility Division, born from a heritage of service of individual utilities dating from the late 1800’s that collectively served Jackson, TN. While the city of Jackson was founded in 1822, its first utility, a manufactured gas service for streetlights, commercial and residential lighting, did not begin until 1871. By the end of the 19th Century, electric power and a public water and wastewater system developed.
With a private act of the Tennessee Legislature, the Water, Natural Gas and Electricity utilities combined in 1959, becoming the City-owned Jackson Utility Division. Clean water requirements would add wastewater treatment in the 1960’s. At the request of Jackson Utility Division, the Tennessee Legislature approved an act that modernized its corporate structure and Jackson Utility Division then became Jackson Energy Authority.
In addition to offering electricity, natural gas, propane, water, and wastewater services, communication demands moved Jackson Energy Authority into offering telecommunications services. In 2004 we set out to build a broadband network designed to serve the rapidly expanding telecommunications needs of our customers well into the future. Tennessee’s first fiber-to-the-home telecommunications system, EPlus Broadband, was born.
As one of the nation’s largest and most advanced fiber optic broadband networks, the EPlus Broadband community-owned network delivers an extraordinary level of service and value to customers. The fiber optic network provides cable TV, high speed Internet, and telephone services to our customers. Collective utilities have improved the quality of life in our community and provided the foundation for Jackson, Tennessee’s commercial and industrial development.
From substations, operation and distribution centers and infrastructure to treatment plants, pumping stations and other locations, Jackson Energy Authority has experienced much growth. Customer retail centers located in midtown at 351 Dr Martin Luther King Jr Drive and The Columns North at 2030 Pleasant Plains Extended offer greater conveniences to better serve our customers.
As a public utility, Jackson Energy Authority is one of very few public utilities in the United States offering customers all major utility services from one company. Our mission is to provide exceptional utility services that create value for our customers and our community.
President & Chief Executive Office
|Nancy Nanney||Senior Vice President & Chief Financial Officer|
|Monte Cooper||Senior Vice President, Electric Division|
|Braxton Williams||Senior Vice President, Gas Division|
|Steve Raper||Senior Vice President, Water & Wastewater Divisions|
|Ben Lovins||Senior Vice President, Telecom Division|
|Aletza Boucher||Corporate Secretary|
|Mike Baughn||Vice President, Information Technology|
|Lara Coleman||Vice President, Operations|
|Barry Cross||Vice President, Human Resources|
|Ted Austin||Vice President, Customer Service & Community Relations|
|Rowland Fisher||Vice President, Engineering|
|John Nanney||Vice President, Economic & Industrial Development|
|Teresa Cobb||General Counsel|
Jackson Energy Authority is a public utility created under a private act passed by the Tennessee Legislature. That same private act also established a five-member Board of Directors to govern Jackson Energy Authority. The Board of Directors is appointed by Jackson’s Mayor and City Council and serves staggered five-year terms.
Board meetings are held on the fourth Thursday of each month at 10:00 a.m. in the Tennergy Center Conference Room located at 250 North Highland Avenue.
Dr. Logan Hampton
Mr. Howard Bond